Sunday 27 October 2013

Homemade Potato Crisps

My flatmates are going home for the half-term break week, and have left behind some excess Maris Piper potatoes, so I thought that I'd try to make some potato chips. (Or crisps, as the British say)


They may look pretty decent, but these were the few successful, presentable ones. Many of them browned nastily, affecting the taste, and most of them crumbled after boiling. (Apparently boiling is only ideal for red potatoes)

If you haven't already guessed, this isn't a tried-and-tested-and-succeeded recipe post! The crisps were worth a try, but I'd much rather buy a packet of Walker's Extra Crunchy for less than a pound, than go through the process of slicing, seasoning and flipping. They've also got to be cooked at a temperature of about 220 ºC, which makes me cringe at the thought of my energy bills. #studentliving They don't even taste as good as a packet of crisps. They may be healthier, but if I'm going to have potato slices cooked in oil, it's going to be unhealthy no matter what, so I'd rather just go all the way and get me some Walker's.


If you doubt my beliefs, which might be a good thing to do, and really must have the recipe, here's what I've come up with from referring to Martha Stewart and Home Cooking Adventure.

Baked Potato Chips

Ingredients
3 medium potatoes
salt
ground black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil

Optional:
ground herbs of your choice (I used oregano)
cayenne pepper

Instructions
1. Preheat the fan oven to 200 ºC and lightly grease a few baking sheets.
2. Peel the potatoes and slice them potatoes as thinly as you can with a knife.
3. In a big bowl, combine all the other ingredients. Use your fingers to mix and coat the potato slices in the bowl.
4. Lay the potato slices out on the baking sheets in a single layer and bake for 15 minutes, then take them out and flip each crisp over, to bake for another 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...